Daily Vegan Recipe - Teriyaki Katsu Rice Bowls
Teriyaki Katsu Rice Bowls
🍚 Served over steamed rice for a super satisfying vegan meal recipe!
(Makes 4 katsu)
2 240g blocks fresh extra firm tofu
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste*
Canola oil, for sauté
Teriyaki sauce (recipe on my blog)
½ cup flour
1 tbsp + 2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sweet paprika powder, optional
½ cup water
1 cup japanese breadcrumbs, or more as needed
- Drain water from the tofu by wrapping them in paper towels and then placing a heavy flat surface (a board or plate) on top of each. Leave for 15 minutes until water has been absorbed by the towels.
- Slice each tofu into 1/2 inch thick square slabs. You may be able to slice one tofu into 3 slabs, depending on the thickness of your tofu. Season with salt.
- Prepare the batter by mixing all the ingredients until smooth. In another plate or tray, add the breadcrumbs.
- Place each tofu in the batter then coat into the breadcrumbs. Repeat this step for the rest.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Once hot (you can test this by putting a little bread crumbs), add in the tofu. Sauté for around 6-8 minutes over medium heat until golden brown. Take out of the oil then turn off the heat.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes then slice diagonally into 3/4-inch thick strips. Drizzle with some teriyaki sauce and enjoy with rice.