Daily Vegan Recipe -Black Bean Tostadas
For the Tostadas:
- 4 corn tortillas (6-inch)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 can reduced-sodium black beans (15 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup prepared salsa plus additional for serving
- Diced red onion
- Sliced cabbage
- Shredded cheese (I used queso fresco)
- Sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- Diced tomatoes
- Jalapeño slices
- Fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high. Dice the onion, then add it and the salt and cook 2 minutes, until just beginning to soften. Add the black beans and 1/4 cup salsa and stir to coat with the oil and onions. Cook, stirring periodically, until heated through, about 4 minutes. Mash and set aside.
- Meanwhile, spread the tortillas in a single layer on a baking sheet, then place in the oven until crisp, about 6 minutes, flipping the tortillas once half way through. Prepare any desired toppings.
- To serve, spoon the black beans over the crisp tortillas, then pile on the toppings. Enjoy immediately.
Back to Healthy Champs News Blog